Guiding Families Along
Life’s Path For More Than 30 Years
Scott R. Severns JD CELA
Scott Severns is a founding member and Past President of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. He graduated cum laude from Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis in 1979. His professional career has focused on legal and health care issues that confront older adults and people with disabilities.
Mr. Severns has been Certified as an Elder Law Attorney (CELA) by the National Elder Law Foundation. A Past President of the National Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform and a former policy analyst for United Senior Action, he has successfully lobbied for nursing home reform laws and was a primary architect of Indiana's home health care legislation known as the CHOICE program.
Mr. Severns was Best Lawyers 2013 Lawyer of the Year in Elder Law in Indiana. He has been named a Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters and is distinguished with the highest AV rating available from his peers on Martindale Hubble. He is a Fellow of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and a Distinguished Fellow of the Indianapolis Bar Foundation. Mr. Severns was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2014 from Heritage Place of Indianapolis. He has been a regular faculty member for the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, and has presented at the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.
His articles have been published in Res Gestae, The Compleat Lawyer and The Long Term Care Handbook. His law practice has appeared on NBC's TODAY program and has been featured in Indianapolis Monthly Magazine, the New York Times and several other national publications.
Scott met his wife Trish at Lawrence Central High School in 1968. They enjoy dancing, visits with their two grandchildren. They are active members of St. Luke's United Methodist Church, where Scott is co-chair of the Social Action Committee.
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Honors: cum laude
- Indiana, 1979
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1979
- Best Lawyers 2013 Lawyer of the Year in Elder Law in Indiana
- Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters
- AV rating, Martindale Hubble
- Fellow, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Heritage Place of Indianapolis
Classes & Seminars
- Faculty Member, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum
- Presenter, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- National Citizens' Coalition for Nursing Home Reform, Past President
- United Senior Action, Policy Analyst
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, Member
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, Social Action Committee, Co-Chair
- The Compleat Lawyer, Res Gestae
- The Long Term Care Handbook, Res Gestae
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified as an Elder Law Attorney (CELA), National Elder Law Foundation
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Founding Member
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Past President