Valuable Legal Help Navigating The Complications Of Aging
As you grow older, you continue to build lifelong memories with family and friends, gain valuable wisdom and possibly even enjoy some times of leisure. However, the aging process also involves many notable complications and challenges. In addition to the physical and health issues that can arise, there are usually significant legal challenges involving estate planning, financial issues and planning for late-life health care. The best thing you can do is work with an experienced attorney who can help you navigate these complexities.
At Severns & Howard, P.C., we handle a wide range of elder law issues in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas of Indiana. Our clients trust in our decades of experience, our knowledge and our commitment to helping them get through the challenges they are facing. We take a personalized, caring approach. When you work with our lawyers, we will make sure to help you understand the choices before you and help you make good decisions for your future and your family.
Comprehensive Elder Law Services
Our lawyers can provide you with full coverage when it comes to the various planning issues that arise in elder law. These services include estate planning, health care planning and long-term care planning.
We can help you with:
- Wills: Wills are the most common estate planning instrument, generally directing the will executor for distribution of your assets.
- Trusts: Trusts provide more sophisticated and varied options for asset distribution. Our lawyers can explain more in person, but there are multiple creative options for how, when and why you will be transferring assets to a beneficiary in a trust.
- Financial powers of attorney: It is important to establish an agent to make financial decisions on your behalf as a way of preparing for the possibility that you could become unable to do so on your own.
Our lawyers know how to integrate your wills, trusts and other instruments to create a comprehensive estate plan that will work for your goals.
Health Care Planning
In addition to setting up a plan for your financial giving, it is important to plan for your health care as you get older. With a living will you can express your late-life health care preferences so your children or other loved ones can know exactly what you would want if you are ever incapacitated and unable to express your wishes yourself.
Long-Term Care Planning
One of the most complex areas for planning your future is long-term care planning. This area is complex because it has to work in concert with your estate plan, your financial plan and any government assistance you might be eligible to receive.
Our attorneys will help you coordinate all of the essential elements to create a cohesive long-term care plan that includes:
- Selecting the right long-term care facility
- Qualifying for public benefits such Medicaid and veterans benefits
- Special needs planning
- Estate and trust administration
Our clients trust our counsel in their long-term care planning.